Monday, May 19, 2008

Countdown

The first word of the great commission that Jesus gave to His disciples, and to us, is the word -- GO!

The word in the Greek is an implied imperative. It is actually an aorist participle and woodenly translated reads, "As you are going." The emphasis being that the action is taking place and is to continue taking place. We are to always be engaged in "going". We don't need to ask if we need to go, we have already been told to go.

Go where? Does this mean that all believers must be oversea missionaries? Not necessarily. Missions doesn't begin by going overseas, it begins by going next door. It means that everywhere you go from your house to the ends of the earth you are to be making disciples.

In four days I will GO on a mission trip. But, the mission begins before I ever reach the destination. I need to be living out a mission trip today, and tomorrow. I need to look for the opportunities that the Lord presents from my house all the way to Estonia. I am going to be seated on a plane an inch a way from someone for 8-10 hours. I wonder what we should talk about?

Let's be obedient followers of Jesus Christ and "GO".

No comments: