Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Physical Beauty

1 Peter 3:3-4 “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.”


We live in a vain world that seeks to undermine God’s authority in creation. This is seen constantly in the area of physical appearance. People attempt to change their outward appearance for the explicit purpose of vanity.

As I continue with this blog, hear me at the outset say that taking care of how you look is necessary and needed. There is no scripture that would advocate being and looking your worst. We should take care that we dress and look APPROPRIATE for the occasion.

But, is there any doubt that our society has an obsession with physical appearances. And the means people will go to achieve a particular look is absurd.

We have lost the biblical ideals of beauty. Beauty is not found in a particular size or shape. It is not in a hairstyle or shade of make-up. It is not in how thin and buxom someone is. Beauty begins from within and emanates to the outward appearance.

Some of the ugliest people ever had what many consider to be a pleasing outward appearance.
So what do people do? They try to fix their outward appearance and forget to fix their inward appearance.

I have been a consistent exerciser at Boot Camp(see my previous blogs on this subject). I do not work out so that I will look more like Mr. Buff-the-football-jock. Honestly, I will never achieve that type of stereotypical muscular appearance. I work out to be healthy. I exercise because scripture says that my body is God’s temple.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”

I don’t want to dishonor His temple. I work out because I want to live as long and fruitful as the Lord wills.

Many workout to be looked at by others. And this is just the beginning. People willingly have themselves mutilated to better their appearance. From breast implants, to toxic facial injections, to all kinds of surgical procedures, vanity is rampant.

This is a tough environment for a father of two girls. As a father, of course I believe that my girls are physically beautiful. But I have prayed and will fervently work by the grace of God to instill in them the understanding that there value does not come from their physical appearance. This will be hard because of the society in which I live, but I will fight this battle. I want them to know that what makes them beautiful is their character and faith, not their dress size.

And at the same time I want to teach them the benefit of healthy eating, regular exercise, and appropriate dress.(I’ll have to do another blog about the topic of the way girls dress.)

1 Timothy 4:8 “For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

No comments: