Monday, June 11, 2007

At The Southern Baptist Convention


This week I am in San Antonio Texas for the annual Southern Baptist Convention. Sunday and Monday they have what is called the “Pastor’s Conference”. At this they have several noted speakers that come and give messages and sermons. I heard two great speakers last night.
Dr. Paige Patterson gave a testimony on pressing on through suffering and opposition that was very good. The hope of the Christian life is that our temporary struggles, pain, and suffering will be far outweighed by the future glory of being with Christ in heaven.

I also heard a great sermon by Dr. Jerry Vines. He is a fantastic expository preacher. I really enjoy not only the content of his sermons but listening to the way he crafts and molds his messages. He preached out of Acts 8 about Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch. The main point, we need to be looking for God ordained opportunities to share Jesus Christ.

Additional Observations about the SBC:

1. It is huge!!!! It is being held at the convention center in downtown San Antonio and the place is enormous. I am not sure how many people were there last night, but it was thousands.

2. I like San Antonio. I went by the Alamo and the Riverwalk. Great places to see, although it would have been better if Michelle were with me.

3. It’s pretty hot.

No comments: