Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Bible Reading

Do you have a Bible reading plan?

Someone once made this statement, "You plan to fail, when you fail to plan?"

I know that every person is different. Some people are much more disciplined than others. Some things that come easy for one individual is extremely difficult for others. This is not an excuse to neglect important things it is just a reminder that you have to find whatever works best for you.

That being said, what is it that works best for you to keep yourself consistently in God's Word? If you have no plan in place at all, then you probably aren't in God's Word.

Here is what I do. I try and read through the New Testament twice a year and the Old Testament once. This is separate from my personal study of the word, and my sermon preparation study. This is a time that I just immerse myself in the Bible.

You can find all kinds of systematic Bible reading plans. They will generally have you reading through a NT and an OT passage each day. Just google "bible reading plan" and you will find a myriad.

My reading is not that regimented. What works best for me is if I just break down my reading into monthly blocks. I need to read about 3 NT books and 2 OT a month(give or take). Then I just pick something that I want to dive into, or something that I feel God wants me to read.

Sometimes as I do my reading this will lead to a deeper study. I will be reading a passage and feel like I want to spend more time studying it for myself. Other times I will find a verse or two that I want to put into memory. I will make that a memory verse. Other times it leads to just a time of worship or prayer, or conviction.

It also helps if you make a time and place to do your reading. It does seem to work well while watching t.v. or when the kids are vying for your attention. I like to read in the morning, and in the evening. It doesn't always work out that way, and on those occasions I will try and find some time in the middle of the day.


That seems to be what works for me. What works for you? Find out, so you won't be missing out.

No comments: