Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Fire In My Bones

It wasn't too long ago when someone who knew I was a pastor made this comment, "That's not too tough a job, afterall, you only have to work one day a week." They were just kidding around and we had some fun talking about my "job", but a lot of people do not fully understand what I do.
That's o.k. with me. What others think should not influence who I am or what I do. Although, I admit that sometimes it is difficult not to care what others think.
Sometimes being a pastor can be very difficult, and there are other times when it is easy and rewarding. But, none of that is what drives me. In fact, I don't even view what I do as an "occupation, job, or career". This is not something I chose, it was something I was chosen for.
Regardless of how the week goes, I know that Sunday is coming. I know that Sunday morning I will have the opportunity to preach God's Word. That is my calling and that drives me.

The prophet Jeremiah was under a great deal of pressure and stress. Few looked forward to the messages he would bring and he was told more than once to stop his preaching ministry. It is in that context that we have what he said in Jeremiah 20:9

"But if I say, 'I will not mention Him or speak anymore in His name', His word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut within my bones. I am weary of holding it in, indeed, I cannot."

I have never been in the same situation or received that type of criticism, but I love that verse. By the time Sunday rolls around I am ready to preach. I am always a bit nervous and feel a tad timid, but if I don't preach I feel like I will burst.

That is not the only task I have as a pastor, but it is one of the major tasks and one that I do not take lightly. I am constantly aware that it is a huge and humbling responsibility to handle the Word of God and to proclaim that Word faithfully to the flock.

No comments: