Friday, December 15, 2006

Boot Camp

Last week I finished my 12th week of boot camp. No, I didn't join the military. Boot camp is a physical fitness program started and run by my brother-in-law who is a professional physical fitness trainer(www.bod-squad.com). It's focus is cardio, strength training, diet, and overall health.
It was great. I was so glad that I committed to this program. It was tough to get up at 5:30 every morning to go run, sweat, and make myself sore -- but I feel great physically.
Many people assume that because someone is thin that they must be in great health. That is not necessarily true. I was not in poor health, but this program really made me get in better all around shape.
I have never done more push ups, sit ups, running, and other exercises than I have in a long time. Although it was difficult, the pay off was well worth it.
And taking care of myself physically is not just a good idea, or a wise thing to do, it is a command from scripture.
1 Corinthians 6:19 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body."
In context, Paul is using this argument to encourage them to flee from sexual immorality. They should take care of their bodies, and not use them for sexual immorality, because they belong to the Lord.
That is certainly true in other areas as well. We have a directive to take care of ourselves physically.
Is this relevant? Every time I go to a Baptist convention or meeting I see so many who are obese and out of shape. For a group of people who champion the Bible, this seems to be one truth that is ignored.
It is also relevant because our physical and spiritual our linked together. You see this all throughout scripture. Taking care of yourself physically lends itself to taking care of yourself spiritually. (See 1 Timothy 4:6-9)
I don't want to set myself up as a specimen of physical fitness. I have a ways to go and areas that I can improve on. That is why I joined boot camp.
I also learned some things from this boot camp. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand how to be healthy. The health industry makes billions of dollars every year. People by books, diets, and all kinds of equipment. Instead of purchasing these fads, send me your money and follow the advice I give in my blog titled "How To Be Healthy".

No comments: