Friday, April 9, 2010

Grab A Tiger By The Tail


The little kids rhyme says this, "Eenie, meenie, minee, mo...my momma told me to pick the very best one, and you are NOT it."

When it comes to Tiger Woods it depends on what you are talking about. I used to be a fan of Tiger, and now I am just fascinated by him.

As Tiger made his return to golf and the mother of all golf tournaments -- The Masters, I have been paying attention. What is undeniable already is the dude can play some golf. He is an incredibly talented golfer! The best ever!

As I watched the coverage yesterday of his first tee shot I listened to the crowd roar with applause and cheer at the sound of his name. And I wondered why? What are they cheering for? Tiger has now become the most notorious serial adulterer of our generation.

I was hoping he would shank his shot and miss the cut. Someone who would so trash his marriage, wife and kids, I have a hard time rooting for.

I have heard a lot of people and commentators say that we should just move on. That his infidelity is his private life. The American people are forgiving. He has done rehab and is trying to keep his family together, and get his life back in line.

So, why don't I feel that way? My pastor from college has always stated something that I think is true. Before restoration can occur in some one's life, their repentance needs to be as notorious as their sin that led to the downfall. I think that is true.

Sure, Tiger has started down the right road. But, he has not had nearly enough time for his repentance to equal the enormity of his scandalous sin. (Besides, it's not repentance if you don't turn to Christ.) Tiger missed about 4 months of golf. It was during the off season, which he doesn't play much anyway. He probably only missed 3-4 tournaments that he would have normally played. That's not enough.

Plenty of people disagree with me, that's fine. But I still hold this principal as true: repentance needs to be as notorious as the sin. He may win the tournament, but he is still a loser.

No comments: