Monday, February 15, 2010

Mardi Gras - Trip Report Pt 1


I have safely returned from the Who Dat? nation. Thanks to all who prayed for me during this short, yet intense trip. Over the next few blogs I plan to give a report of what went on and some of my thoughts about the trip.

Sunday and early Monday were very eventful. It started on Sunday morning as I went with a team from our church to do our monthly nursing home ministry where I preached to them. We then returned to our church and I preached the morning service there. I had to leave as church was ending in order to catch a flight at Love Field that would take me to New Orleans.

There was already another team there from Northeast Houston Baptist Church. They had been there since Saturday and had already been praying and sharing Christ. Pastor Sonny and Jaime D. and the other teammembers are solid, faithful Christ followers. I would eventually meet up with them and Pastor Nathan, Tim, Bill, Blayne and a slew of gospel sharing women from NEHBC. What a great team they are.

I got to the French Quarter at about 4:30 p.m. I spent the next 8.5 hours on the streets praying, observing, handing out gospel fliers, sharing Christ, eating, and lots of walking.

I was really looking forward to being there, but also felt a lot of nervousness and wondered what I would do and say. But, I was trusting the Lord, and that is always a good thing.

There were scores of people everywhere doing all kinds of things. As I walked around I would pray for these people and asked God to do a work in their lives.

As I did this I would attempt to hand out gospel fliers to people. Some would take them. Some would not. I had some people tell me "thanks". I had some people say things that were not gracious.

At one point I handed out a tract to two guys. They stopped and asked me,"what is this?" All of a sudden I have an opportunity to tell them what it is all about. For about 5 minutes I got to share the entire gospel with these two guys. They asked a couple of questions, seemed to be thinking about what I said, and then they left. I may never know this side of heaven what the result of that encounter might be. But, I praise the Lord for the opportunity to dispense the message of Jesus.

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

Nice... praise God for His strength and wisdom .... glad your back from that Nasty place!!