Friday, April 3, 2009

OMG=Bme Addendum

My friend Bryan left a very insightful comment on my previous post about blasphemy. I felt like it was so "right on" that I would post it here for all to see.

Bryan writes:

Careless invocations of divinity in one’s daily prose can certainly qualify as gross violations of the third commandment.

Thankfully, I am not like other men in this regard.

Ouch!

I think that there is also another important facet to this commandment. As I understand it, the “name” of our God also connotes the concept of “authority.”

Another significant way we can take God’s name in vain is when we - like the seven sons of Sceva - presume to invoke spiritual authority that we do not, in fact, possess.

Have you ever heard a prophet, priest, or pastor invoke God’s name, saying, “God showed me this”, or “God told me that”, when God’s private “communication” turned out to be nothing more than frivolous human efforts at church empire building, ministry justification, blatant solicitation, false prophesy, personal agenda, or even words of comfort to people living in open rebellion?

I have, many times.

Have I ever said, “God told me” or “God showed me”, when He probably really didn’t?


Bryan, excellent and truthful. Thanks for your insight and candor.

No comments: