Friday, February 13, 2009

Turn To Christ


If you have never heard of Richard Owen Roberts, he has been described as the closest thing to an Old Testament prophet there is. He is ancient old, feeble, and slow of speech. Yet, it is obvious that God's power is present. I was able to hear him twice last week, and both were humbling.

Here is one thing that stuck with me. Dr. Roberts has a lengthy book and ministry on Repentance. He talked about this subject from scripture with us. There are two tracks of repentance. Repentance for self and repentance for Christ. Repentance for self is when we turn from sin to avoid hell. That is a very real and biblical motivation for repentance. But, that is not all repentance is. If my repentance only stays on that level then it is selfish -- for my self.

Repentance is not complete until it also includes turning to Christ. This means that we turn from our sin and turn to Christ. It is recognition that Christ is so worthy and so loving that He deserves for me to turn away from my sin.

Repentance is not a one-and-done act. It is a life that continues to turn away from sin for the glory of Christ.

I pray that I would, "bear fruit in keeping with repentance." (Luke 3:8)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated comment...

Good stuff. Confirms what God has been showing me about my own conversion experience and my life since that time.

I am definitely a work in progress.

(I would just like to see a little MORE progress!)

Bryan