Monday, January 22, 2007

A Memory is Worth a Thousand Toys


You always hear the famous phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words” (which I don’t think is true) but I have a new phrase. “A memory is worth a thousand toys.”


This was our first time to do a family vacation during the winter. We have done most of our vacations in the summer time. This year we wanted to try one in the snow!
This meant that our vacation was close to Christmas. You remember Christmas – all the presents. Our girls are 4 and 8 and are really into the presents. But, I’d be willing to venture a guess that 20 years from now they won’t remember their presents, but they will remember the great time we had as a family on vacation.


Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying that you shouldn’t give kids presents – I am not that big of an idiot(I think). But, giving a kid a present is not nearly as lasting as giving them a memory. Our kid’s don’t need toys, they need us to be and interact with them. And the great thing about our vacation is it was family centered.


We traveled, ate, played, and did everything together. They will remember the long trip and the things we saw together as we entered the mountains. They will remember the times we played in the snow, together. They will remember the sledding, the skiing, the bible studies, and all the things we did, together.


The purpose of our vacation was to spend some uninterrupted time together. I thank God for the opportunity we had to get away and enjoy His creation and one another. It was a time that I will never forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.