Monday, March 15, 2010

I - Nothing


One of my favorite chapters of the Bible is John 15.

The last several weeks I have been working my way through this chapter and a little book by Andrew Murray called "The True Vine". I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

John 15:5 says, "I am the Vine, you are the branches. If a man abides in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

Here are some provoking thoughts on these verse.

- I can do nothing. As much as I can raise a man from the dead, can I give myself divine life (A. Murray paraphrase)

- Knowing the truth, that I can do nothing apart from Jesus, results in dependence. It means that my only option is to fully depend on Jesus for everything.

- This does not lead to apathy and resignation. I don't just sit on the couch and do nothing. No. Abiding leads to a fruitful life. A fruitful life is a life lived, a life of action. But the action, the life are lived by the power of the indwelling Spirit who works in and through the one who is abiding in Jesus.

- Abide in Jesus = much fruit
- Apart from Jesus = nothing

At the end A. Murray writes this prayer, "Lord, I gladly accept the arrangement. I-nothing, You-all. My nothingness is my highest blessing, because You are the Vine, that gives and works all. So be it Lord! I nothing, ever waiting on Your Fullness. Lord, reveal to me the glory of this blessed life."

No comments: