Friday, July 10, 2009

Back To School


My daughters think it is humorous that I have been going to school all this week and next and they don't have to.

I am currently enrolled in a DMIN program at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth(the pic is of SWBTS). For 2 weeks I have class from about 8-5 every day.

Why am I in school? It is not just to get another degree. I do not care about titles. The answer is much more simple than that. I have been called to preach and to be faithful in handling God's Word. Every week I stand before God's people to proclaim His Word. I need to get that right. I have not "arrived" as a preacher/pastor/Bible student-and I never will. That means that I need to be a continual learner.

My simple goal in taking classes is to grow as a preacher/pastor.

The program I am enrolled in is specifically for the discipline of text-driven preaching. The emphasis is to allow God's Word to guide and dictate the preaching process and event.

This summer we are focusing on learning how to exegete and exposit an Old Testament narrative from 2 Chronicles. After one week of class, it has been extremely challenging, edifying, and beneficial. I have a lot to learn and implement in my own life.

No comments: