Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Deliver Us From Evil

Anyone who thinks that the world is basically good, and most people are as well, has placed themselves in a tough position. The tragic events on the campus of Virginia Tech were a horrendous evil. There is really no reasonable answer to the question of "why". Why did such a thing happen? We cannot climb into the mind of the killer.

I was reminded of the disciples when they come to Jesus and ask Him to teach them how to pray. Everyone knows the Lord's prayer, but we don't often enough dig deep into what Jesus was saying and teaching. One line of that prayer is particularly applicable in light of this tragedy.

Jesus said we are to pray to the Holy Father to "deliver us from evil". There is some textual evidence that this could be read, "deliver us from the evil ONE" - referring to Satan. But, the point here is the same. The world in which we live contains evil. And we cannot deliver ourselves out of it's grip. If we could, then we would not need to pray to the Holy Father to deliver us from it.

We need deliverance from evil. And this is not just deliverance from evil influences apart from us. We need to be delivered from our own evil.

I have never killed anyone, but according to Jesus I am a murderer. He says that if you hate someone then you have committed murder in your heart. I am sure that at some point in my life I have fallen into that category.

I am a great person, compared to the killer at Virginia Tech. Unfortunately, I am not compared to Him. I am compared to Holy God and His righteous standards. To these I don't measure up. "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Rom. 3:23

Salvation is the gift of God's grace. It is God's delivering me from my own evil, and it is a work that could only be accomplished through the cross of Jesus Christ.

Final deliverance comes also as a gift of God's grace. One day, sooner rather than later, the Righteous Judge will return. When Jesus Christ comes again, those who are found truly in Him will receive the final gift of ultimate deliverance from all evil.

No comments: